Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sheep won't help you sleep

What do you think is the heaviest thing on Earth?
Many people say that eyelids are, and I had thought so, too.
But what if one night, your eyelids seem too light to stay closed for several hours?
I had been a very good 'sleeper' before, but these days, there are some nights I just can't go to sleep!


There are many reasons for not being able to sleep - stress, anxiety, excitement, sadness, diseases...
The times I can't go to sleep are mostly because I'm worried about something.
The first time it started was the night before taking a final math exam.
I tried to sleep soundly as usual, but the noise of my watch kept distracting me, so I stood up and put it away.
However, I suddenly started to feel really strange when I lay down again, my heart thumping wildly.
Whenever I decided that I should go out for a drink of hot milk, I kept thinking that this time I would really get to sleep.
I spent about two hours tossing and turning in bed, trying to change my positions, putting the blanket away, and even laying my head at where my feet should be.
Still, sleep was nowhere to be seen, and it was such an agony to bear it.
I drank a cup of hot milk after that nightmare which was not a dream, and finally slept.
The next day I ruined my test, probably because I didn't get a sufficient amount of sleep.

After that, I decided to write a post about ways to cure insomnia, and googled some information about it.
And guess what happened that night!
I just couldn't get to sleep, and I think it's because I thought too much about insomnia, sleeping habits, and so on.
It was a terrible experience, not just because I couldn't sleep, but because all the methods I found out didn't work at all!

1. Sleep only with my left nostril open. (a yoga technique that is supposed to help me feel relaxed)
I put a finger on my right nostril and tried to sleep, but this unique way just made me think about the reason it's the left nostril that should be open, and not the right one.

2. Count sheep.
Counting sheep is a popular solution, but it doesn't really work for me.
The sheep change their appearances from cartoons to animations and it drives me crazy!

       

When these sheep jump over a fence, their legs don't move, as if I'm dragging them on my cellphone screen.
Also, the counting itself makes me think of things like - What comes after 76? 75. What comes after that? Oh, 74.

3. Try not to sleep. (this was found by a psychologist, so I thought this would work.)
When I found this information, it seemed so interesting that I wanted to try it.
However, that night, after failing two methods, my instincts kept telling me that trying not to sleep would really wake me up for sure.
I guess it was actually a stereotype, not an instinct.
I'm so curious - what would have happened if I had tried it that night?

These are the ways that finally helped me go to sleep.
First, just think of two numbers you can multiply and multiply them.
For example, 12x9=108, 17x3=51, 16x5=80...
It doesn't matter if you think of a wrong answer.
You should keep thinking of rows of numbers so that worrying thoughts would not seep in.
What's important is not to think about anything else but numbers, so that it will make your mind calm down.
If the idea of trying not to think bothers you, think about happy memories that make you smile, and try to make the memory lead you to a dream.


This is what my teacher told me - relaxing from toe to head.
You should concentrate your mind on the toes and let them relax first.
Then you can come slowly upward and relax your ankles, knees, waist, and come all the way to your head.
It made me feel lighter, and I also felt like floating.

The reason I couldn't sleep was because I kept thinking that I should sleep, and when it didn't work, I became so anxious of waking up late the next day and ruining it.
Now I will try to be brave at night.
Who cares if I can't sleep so well?
I'm just a tiny speck of dust that is lying on a little bed on a small Earth, compared to the whole universe.